The transofrmation has begun! While the name on the back still says "Sleepy II", (though that will change very soon), Cal 2-29 #744 has officially become 'Loophole' at heart. From grandpa's weekend condo to performance racer/ cruiser, I have converted the boat from wheel to tiller steering, assembled an inventory of sails and have pulled the mast and fully re-rigged the boat to reflect her new ambitions. With any luck, I will sail my house in her first beer can race this week in Oakland and possibly do a 27-mile in-the-Bay race with a few friends next week. After anoter re-fit in September, the boat should be fully ready for our first big adventure: cruising Southern California and the Channel Islands for the winter and chasing surf.
First off, I have spent way more at this point than I initially planned. Having said that, I have ended up doing a lot more than I originally planned on and feel that all of the money was well spent, so i'm generally pretty stoked. Just very broke. When I entered this re-rig, I wanted to achieve a few major things: get rid of the stock wooden spreaders, install all new standing rigging, internalize my halyards, and generally bring the rig up to date (new VHF antenna, tri-color light, etc). In typical me fashion, I didn't really come up with a super thorough game plan, I just pulled the rig out of the boat and tackled things one by one until I felt it was ready to step. Having dismasted boats is a pain in the ass and having a mast or a boat in a boat yard is equally a pain in the ass, so time was of the essence.
'Loophole' dismasted. My Cal 2-29 dismasting was much smoother than my Cal 2-27 dismasting :)
Step 1: Chop the top of the rig off with a large and powerful saw. No, seriously.
When I went into this project, one of my main goals was to make the halyards run internal in the mast. My mast was the ultra-stock shitty cruising version which was equipped with just two wire-to-rope external halyards